Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sweet Idea


Ok, not about cupcakes but a sweet idea none-the-less...

I have been trying to get my children to eat a healthier breakfast. I love instant oatmeal and feel that for convenience and ease, it fits the bill. They flatly refuse to try it. But this morning I had one of those once-in-a-blue-moon great ideas and it totally worked! We had an oatmeal taste-testing session. Each child was a fieldwork expert. They each had numbers & ranked the oatmeal 1, 2, or 3. 1being their favorite, 2 second choice, etc...I wrote the flavors on the bottom of the bowls so they wouldn't know which was which. I told them that “real taste-testers” need to take a big taste to fully experience the flavor of each so they could make a good decision. I also told them that they could return to a bowl at anytime to try again if they needed to (which they did)! By the time we were through, they had eaten quite a lot of oatmeal and had three favorites that are on record with their mom, so the "I don't like that" excuse can't fly anymore. They each gobbled up a bowl of chocolate chip flavor (the winner) after the testing. Ok, so not the healthiest choice of the five flavors, but today it was the battle, not the war that was won and I will enjoy my small victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment